I thought...my future in KDU was set. I put in my best for the last semester and graduated with a CGPA of 3.44, hoping for a Merit Scholarship. I was a bit crushed; the minimum for qualifying is 3.5. So I thought, heck it, I did my best. A bit of me died knowing I couldn't meet your expectations. You were always on to me get a scholarship since I was young. Even if it was a partial waiver. Just that 0.06 stood in the way.
That changed when Mel told me about Murdoch possibilities. The cost, coursework, somewhat expectations. I then had a rough idea of what the degree I wanted would be. After last Saturday, that had me disappointed. It was not what I had in mind at all. Yes, it is partially my fault for not finding out about it more. But then again, August was a long way off.
Last weekend I slammed off to work, angry that you didn't understand. I wanted more choices; couldn't face another 2 years of dreary theoretical work. You told me to stick to it, 2 years would fly by in no time. On Sunday you left me with, "If you were better at Math, you'd have more choice. Like Accounting or Engineering."
That boiled me so bad. Of course, you were in the IT industry. You don't get it. What would the world be without Creatives? Boring as hell. No news portals, no movies, no music, no nice websites with great UI even.
You were so set on me going back to KDU; I blanched at the thought and did my own research. Monash was out of the question; fees were expensive and 3 years was still a long time even though I was able to get exemption. Time wasn't my friend; I had maximum 2 years to graduate on your clock.
This morning... calls to UTAR and Taylor's were made. Right there and then, the counsellor told me I qualified for 50% scholarship off total tuition. Those few words lit me up. A scholarship, one I never thought possible. That afternoon Mom and I zipped off to the lakeside campus. The gist of it was I could do Communication and Media Management in 1 1/2 years with 50% off.
I thought you would be happy, at least. "Why didn't you work harder to achieve 3.67 and qualify for 100%" stung. Right there and then I wanted to scream. I realised I can never achieve your expectations. That bar raises every time. Sure, it pushes one to greater heights, but... I am not that person you have in mind.
After an hour's tour around campus, I already half made up my mind. Beautiful place chock full of inspirations for the mind to ponder. 4-storey library, Mac labs, 23 computer labs, newsroom, radio room... more than I could ever hope for when I could not go overseas.
Isn't this what they talk about, the great college and uni life experience? Independence and a great campus to run around?
On Thursday we're going again to finalize stuff, register perhaps, if word comes back about the scholarship interview. I have my fingers crossed so hard I think they'll stay that way even after the call back. They said 2 to 3 days, final word on what exemptions I get would take a week. Final decision comes from UniSA.
Joanne says it's going to be one hell of a ride. 4 subjects, 3 assignments each. 100% coursework. I need luck. I'm going to do my best.
But this time, I'm doing it for me :)
No comments:
Post a Comment